“Our resorts are located in some of the most beautiful settings in the world and we provide an escape from the stresses of work and today’s hectic lifestyles.
Our hope is that we can encourage guests to take some time out for themselves and appreciate both the natural beauty of their environment and, more importantly, have a human connection with those traveling with them.”
- Michelle Bozoki, Director Marketing and Ecommerce,
Marriott and RenaissanceCaribbean, Latin America Resorts
Photo courtesy of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
Nine Marriott and Renaissance Caribbean & Mexico Resorts in seven locations across the Caribbean and Mexico have unveiled “Braincation” tech-free zones beginning in December and running throughout the winter months.
Guests looking for a “digital detox” can retreat to a Braincation zone at each resort where they can enjoy areas with no cell phones or electronic devices in use.
Wi-Fi and other modern tech tools allowing guests to stay as connected as they want to be, however signs indicating Braincation tech-free zones will encourage guests to disconnect, relax and enjoy peaceful reading, conversation or other tech-free pursuits.
The detox free zones are in response to a travel survey results conducted with 1,184 respondents - 53% male and 47%t female:
- 85% of respondents said they had experienced being annoyed by someone talking loudly into their cell phone when traveling.
- 50% of respondents reported checking emails and voicemails multiple times per day while on vacation
- 39% reported checking emails and voicemails at least once per day during their trip
- 36% said they check emails and voicemails on the beach
- 30% provide cell phone numbers to clients while on vacation
- 31% admitted to being tempted to throw their mobile device into the ocean
- 44% reported connecting to social media while vacationing
- 82% used social media to keep in touch with family and friends
- 66% utilized social media to upload and share photos via Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Pinterest, etc.
- 64% update their status on Facebook or tweet via Twitter
- 64% use their mobile device to check-in to a location or search nearby options
Marriott and Renaissance Caribbean & Mexico Resorts Collection includes:
- Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
- CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
- CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
- Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
- Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
- Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
- Renaissance Aruba Resort and Casino
- JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino